You can search Analytics data in two ways:
- Basic mode, where you can add search criteria to filter your data and return a subset of available events. In Basic mode, you see the list of events that match your search criteria, along with a count of those events. This mode is referred to in the UI as Drag and Drop Search.
- Advanced Mode, where you can use the AppDynamics Query Language (ADQL). ADQL is a SQL-like query language that provides additional operators and functions to enable more complicated searches. This mode is referred to in the UI as Query Language Search.
For each mode, you see the analytics data sources that are licensed and enabled for your application. The applications, data sources, and other fields that you see depend on how the administrator has set the permissions for your role. When creating new roles, remember that granting permissions to view transaction analytics data does not automatically grant permissions to see all application data associated with a specific transaction analytics record. You need to grant at least read-only permissions to the application to enable the user to see associated transaction snapshot data such as flow maps.
Search Results Limits
Search results in the UI can return up to 1000 records. By default, each page displays 50 results at a time. In Advanced mode, you can explicitly set a LIMIT to see more than 50 results on a page. Setting a limit disables pagination and shows up to 1000 records on a single page. The total number of records for the query shows at the bottom right. The UI caps the number of search results at 1000 regardless of mode or the value of an explicit LIMIT. To return more than 1000 records, you must use the Analytics Events Query API.
See LIMIT Clause for more details.
Access the Analytics Search UI
- Navigate to the Analytics interface in the Controller UI by clicking Analytics in the top navigation bar.
An alternate way to access Analytics is from the Home screen: select a data source to see a default search for that event type.
- Click Searches to create new searches and see a list of previously saved Searches.
The Saved Searches list displays any pre-existing, saved searches for which you have view permissions. The default sort order for the list is Alphabetical by Saved Search name.
- To view your saved searches, click View Options and select Filter by Current User.
- Click +Add to create a new search or select an existing search to activate the actions on the action toolbar.
- When you click +Add, you see options to select the search mode.
For details on the two search modes, see:
On the Search details page, you see two tabs for displaying the results for the search.
- All event types share the same basic layout on the Data tab of the Search details screen.
- Use the Data tab to search and filter the data that you want to review and analyze.
- Use the Visualization tab to create graphic representations based on that data.
- Search actions are available for each search. The actions vary according to the type of search and the tab you use. Generally, the following actions are available:
- Export (to cvs - only from Data tab)
- Create Metric
- Add to Dashboard (only from Visualization tab)
Basic and Advanced Search Comparison
The following table provides a comparison of the functionality available in each search mode.
|Drag and drop fields to the criteria search bar||yes||no|
|Visualization canvas widget support||multiple widgets||one widget per search query|
|Grouping of events with the GROUP BY keyword||yes||yes|
Wild cards with comma-separated text (Basic mode) or IN operator (Advanced mode)
|Percentile Histogram widget||yes||no|