On this page:
On this page:
In addition, you can run the installer using a Response file (for unattended installations). See Installing with the Silent Installer.
Before starting, download the installer distribution and extract it on the target machine. You can get the EUM installer from the AppDynamics Download Center.
To secure connections from agents to the EUM Server, AppDynamics strongly recommends that SSL traffic is terminated at a reverse proxy that sits in front of the EUM Server in the network path and forwards connections to the EUM Server. If this is not possible in your installation, however, it is possible to connect with HTTPS directly to the EUM Server, as described below. For information on setting up a custom keystore for production, see Secure the EUM Server.
If you install and configure the Events Service with HTTPS support, you must perform a workaround for your EUM Server installation to complete properly. After the Events Service certificate configuration, install the EUM Server without Analytics enabled. Then install the certificate into the EUM Server keystore following the steps found on Secure the EUM Server. Configure Analytics in the Events Services Properties, and restart the EUM Server.
Note that Linux systems must have the libaio library installed before you install the EUM Server. See the EUM Server Requirements for more information.
Install the EUM Server for a Production Deployment with the GUI Installer
Run the on-premises EUM installer on the machine on which you want to install the EUM Server, as follows:
- Start the installer:
From a command prompt, navigate to the directory to which you downloaded the EUM installer.
Change permissions on the downloaded installer script to make it executable, as follows:
Run the script as follows:
- Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) and navigate to the directory to which you downloaded the EUM installer.
Run the installer:
- In the Welcome screen, click Next.
- Scroll to the end of the license agreement, accept the license agreement and click Next to continue.
- Choose Product for the installation mode. This mode installs the EUM Server on this machine. Use this type if AppDynamics End User Monitoring and the AppDynamics Controller are installed on different hosts. Selecting this type will install a separate MySQL instance on this machine. Click Next.
- In the Database Setup screen:
- Enter a new root user password and confirm it.
- Enter a new eum_user password and confirm it.
Usernames and passwords can only consist of ASCII characters. In addition, passwords cannot include the characters '^', '/', or '$'.
In the AppDynamics End User Monitoring Setup screen:
- Enter a new key store password and confirm it.
- Click Next, then click Finish.
With the initial configuration information gathered, the installer completes the setup of the EUM Server. When finished, the EUM Server is running.
After installing the EUM Server, you must perform three additional post-installation tasks:
- Provision the EUM license
Configure the Events Services properties in the
- Connect the EUM Server with the AppDynamics Controller
Secure the EUM Server by setting up a custom keystore
The EUM Server Installer only configures the HTTP port. If you are installing the 4.4 EUM Server or upgrading to the 4.4 EUM Server, you'll need to configure the EUM Server and update the AppDynamics Controller settings to connect to the HTTPS port. See Configure the HTTPS Port for the 4.4 EUM Server for instructions.
Provision the EUM License
To provision the EUM license:
- Log in to your EUM Server.
- Change to the directory with the script for provisioning licenses:
$> cd $EUM_HOME/eum-processor
- Provision each license, one at a time, on the EUM Server by running the following command:
$> ./bin/provision-license <PATH_TO_EUM_LICENSE>
Configure the Events Services Properties
To configure the Events Services properties in the
- Make sure Events Services is running.
- Using the CLI, navigate to
- Open the
eum.propertiesfile for editing.
eum.propertiesfile, enter the values as follows:
The <eum_key> is the Events Service key that appears as the
appdynamics.es.eum.keyvalue in the Administration Console:
The configuration should appear similar to the following example:
- After updating the
eum.properties file, restart the EUM Server.
Connect the EUM Server with the AppDynamics Controller
To connect the EUM Server with the AppDynamics Controller:
- Log in to the Administration Console.
- Set the following Controller properties:
eum.cloud.host: http://eum-host-name:7001– This tells you where the controller will poll for EUM metrics.
eum.mobile.screenshot.host: eum-host-name:7001– This tells you where the Controller will look for mobile screenshots.
Installing with the Silent Installer
Instead of using the installer in GUI mode, you can use the silent installer to perform an unattended installation. The silent installer takes a response file as a source for the initial configuration settings. It's useful for scripting installation or performing large scale deployments.
To use a response file for installation:
Create a file named
response.varfileon the machine on which you will run EUM installer with the following:
Modify values of the installation parameters based on your own environment and requirements. Particularly ensure that the directory paths and passwords match your environment.
Run the installer with the following command:
On Windows, use: