This page provides an overview of event monitoring in AppDynamics.
In the AppDynamics model, events represent a change in the state of a monitored application. An event can represent an error/exception generated by the application, the crossing of a performance threshold, or an operational change in the application (such as a JVM restart).
You can define policies that generate notifications or perform actions when an event occurs. See Alert and Respond for more information. You can also use events to investigate application issues underlying performance problems.
Viewing and Monitoring Events
You can view and analyze events in the Controller UI. From the Database Visibility, Server Visibility, or user experience application pages in the UI, you can view events by clicking Events from the left navigation tree.
To see events for application monitoring, access a dashboard such as a business application, business transaction, tier or node dashboard and select the Events tab. The tab shows the events generated in the selected time frame.
In the Events list, you can filter the types of events displayed by clicking Filters and selecting the type of events to show.
You can view more information about an event from the list. If the event is an application change, such as an application restart, the details contain a description of the event. If the event is a slow transaction or an error, the details are transaction snapshots from which you can drill down to the root cause of the problem.
From the event details dialog, you can perform actions such as opening a War Room, delete or archive the event or test action execution.
An event is purged after two weeks, at which point it is no longer accessible. To save an event beyond the default snapshot lifespan – for example, if you want to make sure an event associated with a particular problem is retained for future analysis, you can archive the event.
For on-premises Controllers, administrators can modify the default two-week period by configuring the events.retention.period property in Administration > Controller Settings.
To archive an event:
- Select the event from the events list.
- Click Actions > Archive Event.
- Click Archive to confirm the action.
The archive icon () in the right column indicates that an event has been archived. To view all archived events in a long list of events, you can click the column heading to sort by archiving. This groups the archived events together.
Filter Custom Events
The AppDynamics REST API enables you to define custom events. You can then filter on those events by creating a custom filter, as follows:
- Open the filter options on the Events page.
- Find the Filter by Custom Events section at the bottom of the panel, and click the Add Property icon (+).
- In the Add Custom Event Filter dialog, enter the name of the custom event type.
- Optionally, specify filtering event properties as key/value pairs. The custom event needs to contain the property values you specify to satisfy the filter. If you add multiple properties, a matching value of All applies an AND operator to the list, meaning all properties need to match for the filter to be satisfied. Any indicates a logical OR, meaning at least one property must exist and match for the filter to be satisfied.