On this page:
AppDynamics reports metrics for monitored systems over time.
The AppDynamics UI provides a variety of graphs and tools to help you visualize metric data so you can use it effectively for analyzing your application's performance, as described in this section.
About Metric Visualization Tools
Metric data appears throughout the UI. However, the Metric Browser is the main interface through which you inspect metrics. Thedisplays all the metric values collected over the selected time period as an expandable tree.
In the browser, you can drag and drop metrics from the tree onto graphs to compare metrics and analyze patterns. For more information on the browser, watch the video Overview of Metrics in AppDynamics.
Analysis tools include:
- The scalability analysis tool provides scatter diagram graphs to display how performance scales as load (calls per minute) changes. You can compare load to response time or to CPU time for the entire application, a business transaction or a server.
- The correlation analysis tool provides scatter diagram graphs to compare any two metrics. You configure which metrics to display on the X and Y axes.
- The compare releases tool allows you to compare key performance indicators, transaction snapshots, flow maps, business transactions for any two time periods for the entire application, a business transaction or a server.
AppDynamics includes a wealth of metrics that reflect your application's performance. It also lets you extend and adapt metrics in specific ways. Information points, for example, allow you to create metrics based on data collected from application values, such as method parameters or return values. Percentile metrics let you configure metrics at deviation points that are useful to you.
You can create a metric from any application parameter using custom metrics. See Extensions and Custom Metrics for information on custom metrics.
Compare Releases Tool
The compare releases tool lets you view the "before and after" effects on performance from the changes you make in your application environment. It puts the performance data from two timeframes side by side, so that you can easily compare performance differences.
To use the tool:
- In the left navigation pane of the Controller UI, under More, select Compare Releases.
- Set the time ranges to compare from the Time Range drop-down lists in both panes.
- Select the entities to compare in the Select What to Compare panel.
- Select the metrics that you want to compare from the View drop-down menu.
- Click Compare.