The AppDynamics-Splunk integration gives you a single, cohesive view of data gathered by AppDynamics and Splunk. The AppDynamics-Splunk integration gives you the ability to:
- Launch Splunk searches using auto-populated queries from the AppDynamics Console based on criteria such as time ranges and node IP address.
- Push notifications on policy violations and events from AppDynamics to Splunk.
- Mine performance data from AppDynamics using the Controller REST API and push it into Splunk.
This topic covers the Splunk search capability that is launched from AppDynamics. Pushing AppDynamics notifications to Splunk and mining performance data from AppDynamics to Splunk requires the Splunk extension. See the extension documentation for more information on those capabilities.
Configuring Splunk Integration
- To enable and configure Splunk integration, log in the Controller UI as an administrator.
- Click Settings > Administration.
In the Administration window, click the Integration tab and then Splunk from the Integrations list.
Check the Enabled checkbox to enable the integration.
For the URL, enter the Splunk URL and port number.
- (Optional) Enter Extra Query Parameters. These parameters are appended to each Splunk search initiated from AppDynamics.
- Click Save.
Launching a Splunk Search from AppDynamics
You can launch a search of your Splunk logs for a specific time frame associated with a transaction snapshot from several points in AppDynamics.
To be able to launch a Splunk search, you need:
- Splunk credentials. The first time that you launch a Splunk search, you are prompted to provide your Splunk credentials. After this, your credentials are cached by the browser.
- Splunk Server must be running.
- Your browser is configured to allow pop-ups.
The first time that you access the Splunk Server, you are prompted to log in. If nothing happens, it is most likely that either your browser is blocking the Splunk login pop-up or the Splunk Server is not running.
You can access the Search Splunk option from the node dashboard as follows:
- Navigate to a node dashboard.
- From the Actions menu, select the Search Splunk item in the Integrations section.
In the list of transaction snapshots:
- From the business transaction dashboard, select the Transaction Snapshot tab.
- Select a transaction snapshot and right-click to access a list of options or click More Actions to see Search Splunk in the list of options.