On this page: Related pages:
On this page:
If you are using AppDynamics on-premises, you must manually apply the license file after installing the Controller. Whenever you purchase additional units, you must update the license file. If you are updating Application Analytics licenses in an on-premises environment, you may have to do some of the updates manually, once you have updated your Controller license. See Application Analytics Licenses for more information.
Applying a License
- Copy the license file to the Controller installation directory. After copying the license file, allow up to five minutes for the license change to take effect.
- To verify that your license file is applied, check that the license you purchased appear in the Peak Usage tab of the License page.
Applying a License to a Multi-Tenant Controller
If you are updating the license file for a multi-tenant Controller, you must manually edit the accounts to affect the change. For example, if you purchase an additional 200 licenses to distribute across two accounts, you must manually allocate those other units by updating each account.
- Copy the license file to the Controller installation directory. After copying the license file, allow up to 5 minutes for the license change to take effect.
- Login with root user at
- Click Accounts and select the account you want to apply the license to.
- Update the license expiration date and license units based on license.lic.
- Save the changes.
Updating a License
- Rename your old license file to something other than license.lic, so that the Controller ignores it.
- Copy the new license file to the Controller installation directory. After copying the license file, allow up to 5 minutes for the license change to take effect.
- To verify that your license file is applied, check that the license you purchased appears in the Account Usage tab of the License page.
Updating License Rules
If you are using license rules, you must update them to account for the additional units you purchased, after you update your license. For example, if you buy another 200 licenses to distribute across two license rules, you must manually allocate those additional units by updating the rules.
Updating MAC Address
AppDynamics licenses for on-premises Controllers are tied to the MAC address of the machine on which you installed the Controller. The original MAC address set up must be done by AppDynamics Operations when a new on-premises license is first provisioned. From that point on, you may update your MAC address in a self-serve manner.
To update the MAC address on a permanent license:
- Navigate to www.appdynamics.com.
- Log in with your AppDynamics user credentials.
Ensure that your account is set up with 'primary user' privileges for the license.
Only users with primary user privileges for a permanent on-premises license can update MAC addresses. You can see who the primary user is by navigating to the Subscriptions page under Account. Only one user can have primary user privilege per license.
If the wrong person in your company is set up as the primary user, they must contact AppDynamics Support with the license name and the email address of the person who should be the primary user.
On the main navigation bar, click Account > Subscriptions.
- Click Edit next to the MAC address you would like to update. The Edit Mac Address window opens.
- Change the MAC address and click Save.