For AppDynamics Pro trial installations and SaaS Controllers, the license is applied and installed automatically.
If you are using AppDynamics on-premises, you must manually apply the license file after installing the Controller. Whenever you purchase additional units, you must update the license file. If you are updating Application Analytics licenses in an on-premises environment, you may have to do some of the updates manually, once you have updated your Controller license. See Application Analytics Licenses
Applying a License
- Copy the license file to the Controller installation directory. After copying the license file, allow up to five minutes for the license change to take effect.
- To verify that your license file is applied, check that the license you purchased appears in the Peak Usage tab of the License page.
Applying a License to a Multi-Tenant Controller
If you are updating the license file for a multi-tenant Controller, you must manually edit the accounts to affect the change. For example, if you purchase an additional 200 licenses to distribute across two accounts, you must manually allocate those other units by updating each account.
- Copy the license file to the Controller installation directory. After copying the license file, allow up to 5 minutes for the license change to take effect.
- Login with root user at
- Click Accounts and select the account you want to apply the license to.
- Update the license expiration date and license units based on license.lic.
- Save the changes.
Updating a License
- Rename your old license file to something other than license.lic, so that the Controller ignores it.
- Copy the new license file to the Controller installation directory. After copying the license file, allow up to 5 minutes for the license change to take effect.
- To verify that your license file is applied, check that the license you purchased appears in the Account Usage tab of the License page.
Updating License Rules
If you are using license rules, you must update them to account for the additional units you purchased, after you update your license. For example, if you buy another 200 licenses to distribute across two license rules, you must manually allocate those additional units by updating the rules.
Updating MAC Address
AppDynamics licenses for on-premises Controllers are tied to the MAC address of the machine on which you installed the Controller. The original MAC address set up must be done by AppDynamics Operations when a new on-premises license is first provisioned. From that point on, you may update your MAC address in a self-serve manner.
To update the MAC address on a permanent license:
- All License Admins that have access privileges for a permanent on-premises license can update MAC addresses. You can see a list of these users by navigating to the Subscriptions page under Account.
- Only one user can have the primary user privilege per license.
- To change the primary user, contact AppDynamics Support with the license name and the email address of the person who should be the primary user.
- Navigate to www.appdynamics.com.
- Log in with your AppDynamics user credentials.
Ensure that your account is set up with 'primary user' privileges for the license.
On the main navigation bar, click Account > Subscriptions.
- Click Edit next to the MAC address you would like to update.
- Change the MAC address.
- Click Save.