On this page:
To instrument applications on Apache Tomcat, add the Java Agent JAR location as a Catalina environment, or CATALINA_OPTS variable, as described here.
Instrument Apache Tomcat
- Open (or create if it doesn't already exist) the setenv.sh (Linux) or setenv.bat (Windows) file. For Tomcat 6 and later, you can put the file in the CATALINA_BASE/bin directory. For previous versions of Tomcat, put the file in the CATALINA_HOME/bin directory
Add the -javaagent argument to the file as a Catalina environment variable, as follows.
<agent_home>with the full path to the Java Agent JAR file.
- Restart the application server. The application server must be restarted for the changes to take effect. For more information on running Tomcat as a service, see Setting Properties and Options on Startup.
Instrument Tomcat When Running as a Windows Service
When running Tomcat as a Windows service, add the javaagent argument to your Tomcat startup properties. These instructions apply to Apache Tomcat 6.x or later versions.
To install the Java agent in Tomcat running as a Windows service
- Ensure that you are using administrator privileges.
- Click Programs > Apache Tomcat > Configure Tomcat.
Click the Java tab and in the Java Options add:
- Restart the Tomcat service to have the changes take effect.