On this page:
To monitor IIS applications, Windows services, or standalone applications, install the AppDynamics .NET Agent once on each machine that hosts managed .NET applications. At start up, the agent initializes an individual instance of itself for each application running in the CLR.
This topic describes a new installation for the .NET Agent.
- Install the the agent.
- Configure the agent.
- Restart instrumented applications.
- For IIS, the configuration utility gives you the option to restart IIS or not.
- If you don't restart IIS, monitoring doesn't begin until the next time IIS restarts.
- You must restart Windows services and standalone applications manually.
Prepare to Install
You must enable the Windows Management Instrumentation service on the machine where you're installing the .NET Agent and the service must be running.
If you want to run the .NET Agent and the Standalone Machine Agent on the same machine, you must enable .NET Compatibility Mode on both the machine and the Controller. For more information, see .NET Compatibility Mode.
Install the .NET Agent
- Download the MSI installer package from the AppDynamics Download Center.
- Run the MSI installer package.
- Read the End User Agreement and click to accept. Click Next.
On the Confirm location window, optionally change the .NET Agent installation directories:
- the destination directory for the .NET Agent executables and supporting files.
- the parent directory for local data including agent configuration files and log files.
You can also change the destination of the logs directory later using the AppDynamics Agent Configuration utility.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control window to allow the installer to make changes to the computer.
If the current account does not have administrator privileges, the installer prompts you to supply the password for an administrator account.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- For new installs, AppDynamics recommends you launch the AppDynamics Agent Configuration utility.
If you encounter problems installing, see Resolve .NET Agent Installation and Configuration Issues.
Configure the .NET Agent
Launch the AppDynamics Agent Configuration utility to configure the .NET Agent.