A virtual war room integrates a custom dashboard being created in real-time combined with collaborative troubleshooting in the form of a focused chat room called "War Room Notes". As participants troubleshoot issues, they can add notes and data that are visible to other participants. The notes display in a timeline format and are visible to all war room participants immediately as they are posted.
The War Room helps to:
- Get everyone on the same page by looking at the same real-time data.
- Keep the focus on metrics that translate to the business value the application delivers.
- Foster communication among a broad audience.
- Identify resolution criteria and assign ownership for resolution tasks.
Start a War Room
You can access war room creation in the following ways:
- From the Troubleshoot menu in left navigation pane.
- From the More Actions pulldown menu when you select an event in the Events list.
The Events list is accessible from an Events tab in several of the built-in dashboards.
- From the war rooms menu inside an existing war room.
This is useful if a subset of the participants of a war room want to break off and work on a subsidiary issue.
Permission to Start a War Room
The user who starts the war room must have Create War Rooms permission enabled for his/her account.
To start a war room:
- Click Start a War Room.
- Do one of the following:
- If you are creating the war room from scratch, name the war room and click OK. Then you can start adding widgets to it. See Adding and Deleting Widgets.
- If war room templates have been created, you can start a war room from a template, which already has widgets in it. Name the war room and select From Template. Then select the template that you want to use from the template list. This creates a new war room with the layout of the template. You can modify the new war room as necessary by adding and deleting widgets. See War Room Templates below for information on creating war room templates..
- Click OK.
A war room can use the widgets available to all custom dashboards. These are described in Create and Manage Custom Dashboards and Templates.
The war room also supports a streaming data widget that streams graphic data in real time (for Java nodes only) and a log tail widget used to share a log file or parts of one.
Log Tail Widget
The log tail widget displays the contents of the file specified by its Path property. The Path is the absolute path to the log file on the machine on which the selected node is running.
If you provide a regular expression in the widget properties, the widget displays only those lines in the log file that match the regular expression. If no regular expression is provided, the widget displays the entire log file. The widget uses the Java conventions for regular expressions.
If the log file rolls over during the request, the response to the log tail request will be undefined.
Adding and Deleting Widgets
To add widgets to the war room space the presenter must be in edit mode. Click the pencil icon if it is visible to enter edit mode. If it is not visible and you are the presenter, you are already in edit mode.
To add widgets, click the + icon, then click the widget that you want from the palette, complete its properties form to define the data that the widget displays, its title, and its look and feel and so on.
To delete one or more widgets, select the widget(s) in the dashboard, right-click and select Delete Widget(s).
To duplicate one or more widgets, select the widget(s) in the dashboard, right-click and select Duplicate Widget(s).
War Room Templates
You can re-use the layout of an existing war room by saving a war room as a war room template. This can save time in creating new war rooms with numerous widgets.
To create a war room template:
- In the Actions menu of the current war room from which you want to create a template, click Save as Template.
- Provide a name for the template and an optional description.
- Click OK.
The template is now available for reuse in creating other war rooms.
To delete a war room template:
- In the War Rooms window click Manage War Room Templates.
- In the template list select the template that you want to delete.
- Click Delete.
- Confirm the deletion.
- Click Close to close the template list.
Presenters and Participants
The user who starts a war room is the first presenter.
Only the presenter can:
- Modify the collaboration space to add, delete, and configure widgets.
- Make any other participant a presenter. There can only be one presenter at a time.
- Share and stop sharing the war room with other participants.
- End the war room.
Presenters can also do everything that participants can do.
To change presenter:
Right-click on any participant name in the participant list and select Make Presenter. The ability to edit and control sharing of the collaborative dashboard and to end the war room passes to the new presenter.
To share and stop sharing the war room:
Select from the pulldown More Actions menu:
Other participants cannot see the war room until the presenter shares it. This gives the presenter the opportunity to set up the widgets privately before showing the war room to others.
To end the war room:
Click the End War Room button. When prompted, confirm that you want to end it.
Only the presenter can end the war room.
A war room is automatically ended after 20 minutes of inactivity. Inactivity means no participants are viewing the war room window.
Everyone who has joined the war room but who is not currently a presenter is a participant.
A participant can be:
- An AppDynamics participant: has a login to the AppDynamics account that is hosting the war room.
- A guest participant: does not log into the AppDynamics account but has been invited to join by an AppDynamics participant. Functions as an anonymous read-only participant.
AppDynamics participants can:
- View a war room to which they have been invited.
- Invite other participants.
- Add notes.
- Start a new war room (if they have Create War Rooms permission).
Guest participants can:
- View a war room to which they have been invited.
To view a war room:
Do one of the following:
- Click the link in the invitation that you received to join the war room.
- Click Troubleshoot > War Rooms, then the war room that you want to join from the war rooms list.
A user sees listed only the war rooms in which that user is a presenter or participant. The list does not display all the war rooms currently in progress on the controller. The only way someone can view a war room is to create one, be invited to one, or otherwise have access to the shared url available to anonymous users.
To invite another participant to the war room:
- Click the + to the right of Participants.
- Select and copy the link in the text field that appears.
- Email or sms the link to the person(s) whom you are inviting with instructions to click the link in a browser window.
- Click OK to dismiss the window.
After clicking the link, the recipient is invited to log in as an AppDynamics participant or as an anonymous guest.
To add a note:
- Click the + to the right of War Room Notes.
- Enter the note in the text field that appears.
You can optionally qualify your note as good or bad.
- Click Post to post the note and dismiss the window.
To start a new war room:
Select Start New War Room from the menu inside the current war room.
When you start a new war room from inside an existing war room, you are placed in the collaborative space of the new war room with the role of presenter, but you are simultaneously still in the old war room too. You can toggle between the war rooms using the war room menu.
Automatic Save and Synchronize
The war room is automatically saved and all participants' views of it are synchronized whenever the presenter makes a modification to the dashboard. The saving and synchronizing happens continually and is transparent to the participants when it occurs. In addition, the presenter can always force a save and sync manually by clicking the Save icon at the top of the war room dashboard.
If the controller is restarted while a war room is in progress, the war room is saved and can be accessed when the controller comes back up.