This topic describes how to acquire and start using the AppDynamics software.
Getting an AppDynamics Controller
The Controller is the central processing and administration server for an AppDynamics deployment. The Controller serves the browser-based UI that is the primary interface for monitoring, analyzing, and troubleshooting the monitored environment.
You can get a Controller by starting an AppDynamics trial at www.appdynamics.com. After you start a trial, you choose one of these hosting options for your Controller:
- For a Controller instance hosted by AppDynamics, choose the Launch SaaS option.
- For a Controller instance that you install and administer yourself, choose the Download on-premise option and follow the instructions for downloading the Controller installer. For more information, see Quick Install.
Use the Download Wizard to Get the AppDynamics Agent
Once you have installed the Controller or arranged for a hosted Controller, you can log in to the Controller UI.
- For a hosted Controller, you will receive an email from the AppDynamics Operations team containing the URL and access details for your hosted Controller instance.
- For an on-premise Controller, log in using the account administrator user created at installation. By default, the Controller UI is served at the following URL:
At first log in, the Controller UI opens to the Agent Download Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard to download and install agents in your application environment. For more information, see Instrument Applications. You can access the wizard later at anytime from the Home page in the UI.
After you've installed agents and restarted your applications, put your applications under load to have the dashboards and flow maps in the Controller UI start showing performance information.
Configure Basic Controller Settings
Depending on the AppDynamics features you want to try, you may have a few additional setup steps to undertake. From the Home page in the Controller UI, follow the Settings links on the home page to configure a few initial basic settings for the Controller:
- Administration: Even if you are running a self-service trial of AppDynamics Pro, it's likely that you will want to add users to the Controller. You can also set up roles and groups to manage permissions in the Controller UI.
- Configure Email/SMS: For SaaS, the Controller is preconfigured to use a built-in SMTP server for email notifications of policy violations. For an on-premise Controller or if you want to set up SMS alerts, configure the settings on the Configure Email/SMS dialog.
- View License: The license page shows details about your account in the Controller and lists the number of license units available to you.
Learn about other administration in the Administer the Controller page.
Monitor Your Apps and Refine the Configuration
AppDynamics gives you a great deal of information about the performance of your applications right out of the box. But it also provides flexibility for refining and customizing the configuration to best suit your application, environment, or requirements.
To learn about monitoring and how to refine how the Controller collects and presents information, see Business Transaction Detection.