Planning the Upgrade
If you are upgrading both the Controller and agents, first upgrade the Controller and then upgrade the Java Agents.
Also, if upgrading multiple agents in your monitored environment, upgrade the agents for the tiers on which business transactions are originated last. For more information about this requirement, along with Controller and agent compatibility information, see Agent - Controller Compatibility Matrix.
Note that upgrading the agent requires a restart of the application server.
Upgrading the Java Agent
Before starting, download the latest version of the Java Agent for your JVM from the AppDynamics Download Center.
To upgrade the Java Agent
- Shut down the application server where the Java Agent is installed.
- Create a backup copy of the current agent installation directory.
- Extract the Java Agent archive to a new directory
- Rename the existing agent directory.
- Rename the new directory to the original name of the old agent directory. The new agent directory and its containing files should have the same directory path as the original one. Using the same directory path avoids the task of manually changing the agent-related configurations in your JVM startup script.
- Copy the controller-info.xml from the old agent directory to the new directory.
- If you previously made changes to the <Java_Agent_Installation_Directory>/conf/app-agent-config.xml file, copy those changes to the new file.
- Restart the application server.
When done you can archive the original directory and remove it from the application server home.