This topic describes a new installation for the .NET Agent.
Install the .NET Agent once on each system that hosts managed .NET applications: IIS applications, Windows services, or standalone applications. At start up, the agent initializes an individual instance of itself for each application running in the CLR.
Installing the .NET Agent
Installing the .NET Agent (agent), involves the following process:
- Install the the agent according to the installation procedure.
- Configure the agent.
AppDynamics provides a configuration utility to configure IIS applications. Monitoring Windows services and standalone applications requires additional manual configuration.
- Restart instrumented applications.
The configuration utility gives you the option to restart IIS or not.
- If you don't restart IIS, monitoring doesn't begin until the next time IIS restarts.
- You must restart Windows services and standalone applications manually.
The following Windows services must be enabled and running:
Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC)
COM+: See Verify COM+ Services are enabled.
Windows Management Instrumentation
To install the .NET Agent
- Download the .NET Agent MSI installer package from the AppDynamics Download Zone.
- Run the MSI installer package.
- Read the End User Agreement and click to accept. Click Next.
- Optionally change the destination directory for the .NET Agent and click Install.
By default, the agent installs to the following directory:
%ProgramFiles%\AppDynamics\AppDynamics .NET Agent
- Click Yes on the User Account Control window to allow the installer to make changes to the computer.
If the current account does not have administrator privileges, the installer prompts you to supply the password for an administrator account.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- For new installs, AppDynamics recommends you launch the AppDynamics Agent Configuration utility.
If you encounter problems installing, see Resolve .NET Agent Installation and Configuration Issues.
Launch the AppDynamics Agent Configuration utility to configure the .NET Agent.
Silent Install Options
See Unattended Installation for .NET.