To enable email or SMS notifications from the Controller, you need to configure SMTP server settings for your environment.
To configure the SMTP server
- As an administrator in the Controller UI, click Settings -> Email / SMS Configuration.
- Check Enable Email/SMS Notifications.
- Provide connection information about the SMTP host, port, connection information, and authentication.
Each machine that hosts a SaaS Controller includes an SMTP service. To use the provided SMTP service, the configuration for SaaS Controllers settings are:
- SMTP Host: localhost
- SMTP Port: 25
No authentication is needed.
- If you want to add any text to the beginning of the notification, type it into the Notification Header Text field.
If you are using SMS do one of the following:
Select Default and choose one of the available carriers from the pulldown menu.
Select Custom and enter the phone number receving the message as <phone number>@<sms gateway>.
For example, a mobile phone in the United States serviced by AT&T might be:
A mobile phone in the United Kingdom serviced by Textlocal might be:
See SMS gateway by country for information on most common SMS gateways.
- Test the configuration by sending an email.
- Save the settings.
To troubleshoot notifications
If you do not receive notifications for health rule violations, it could be because the SMTP server timeout is set too short a period of time. To troubleshoot this problem:
- Log in to the Administration Console.
- Select the Controller Settings option.
- Increase the mail.smtp.socketiotimeout global configuration property. The default setting is 30 seconds.