For large scale deployments, or where monitored systems are extremely busy, please contact AppDynamics Support for installation recommendations and assistance.
On this page:
Systems that AppDynamics for Database Monitors
Once AppDynamics for Databases is up and running, you can create collectors that run on the AppDynamics for Databases server to monitor any of the following systems:
LUW 9.x, LUW 10.x
Microsoft SQL Server
2000 (Service Pack 3 and later), 2005, 2008, 2012, and 2014
|Microsoft SQL Azure Database|
all versions including Percona and MariaDB
|MongoDB||2.2 and higher|
8i, 9i, 10g, 11g, and 12c
IBM AIX Server
32-bit (will also work on 64-bit systems)
FAS 7 mode, Clustered Data ONTAP
NetApp E-Series Arrays
AppDynamics for Databases collectors are not installed on the monitored systems.
AppDynamics for Databases can be installed on physical or virtual machines.
You should install AppDynamics for Databases on a dedicated machine.
- Installation package: 142 MB Windows, 140 MB Linux
- Disk space usage after installation: 614 MB
- Disk space required for historical data storage:
- 100 MB per database collector (for data retention period = 1 week)
- 10 MB per server collector (for data retention period = 1 week)
- Minimum recommended hardware:
- 1-10 collectors: 2 GB RAM, Single CPU, 1 disk
- 10-50 collectors: 4 GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 1 disk
- 50-100 collectors: 8+ GB RAM, 4 CPUs, fast disk
- 100+ collectors: contact support. For larger scale deployments, we recommend speaking with AppDynamics support to tune your installation. Increasing GUI and Repository memory settings is highly recommended for better performance.
- Minimum Memory requirements:
- 512 MB for AppDynamics for Databases Repository
- 512 MB AppDynamics for Databases GUI
- 100 MB per collector
For information on hardware requirements of the AppDynamics Controller, see AppDynamics Pro, Controller System Requirements.
Requirements for Demo and Small Profile Environments
AppDynamics for Databases is an on-premise solution and can be installed on the same server as the AppDynamics Pro Controller, or on a different server. In either case it requires 1 CPU and 2GB of RAM to monitor a single database instance. If you install it on the Controller server, these resources are in addition to the Controller resources. Also, change the default port number so it doesn't conflict with the Controller.
- The machine on which the database is running or the machine you want to monitor must be accessible from the AppDynamics for Databases installation machine. This machine must have a network connection, internet or intranet.
- If there is a firewall, the database listener port (and optionally the SSH or WMI port) must be open.
Compatible Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows platforms, including Windows 7 and Windows 8. The AppDynamics for Databases application is 32-bit, which is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit servers.
- Linux versions/platforms. 64-bit systems are supported. The Asynchronous I/O library, libaio must be installed before installing AppDynamics for Databases.
For better navigation and performance, use Chrome or Safari.
- Google Chrome 1.x and later
- Safari 4.x and later
- Mozilla FireFox 3.x and later
- Internet Explorer 7.x and later
GUI Performance Considerations