You monitor performance by location from the geo dashboard tab of the mobile APM dashboard.
Mobile Geo Dashboard Window
The window is divided into three panels:
- A main panel in the upper left that displays geographic distribution of mobile users on a map, if you clicked the map view icon, or on a grid if you clicked the grid view icon.
- You can switch between map view and grid view by clicking these icons.
- You can expand the map panel or the grid panel to fill the entire dashboard by toggling the expand icon in the upper right corner of the panel.
- A panel on the right displaying:
- Countries with highest network request times (slowest performance).
- Countries with the highest number of network requests (highest load).
- Trend graphs in the lower part of the dashboard that dynamically display the number and rate of network requests (load), network request time, and number and rate of HTTP errors and network errors. You can click the rates to see them displayed in the Metric Browser.
You can hover over a point in time in a trend graph to get the precise values at that moment for the individual metric you are hovering over.
The metrics displayed throughout the geo dashboard are for the country currently selected on the map or in the grid. For example, if you zoom down from world view to France in the map, the panel on the right disappears and the trend graphs display data for France.
Using Map View
The main panel in map view displays a map superimposed with circles that represent average user experience by country.
The size of a circle indicates the relative amount of traffic in a country: the larger the circle the higher the load. The color of a circle represents the relative request time experienced by users in a country: green for a fast request time, yellow for a medium request time, red for a slow request time. Large red circles represent regions of most concern. See Configuring Map View Options for information on how to adjust circle color and size ranges.
You can perform the following actions directly in the map:
- Click any country on the map to drill down into metrics for that country. The country is colored blue to indicate that it is drilled down. To return to the world view from the country view, click World in the left corner of the map.
- View summary statistics for a region by hovering over its circle.
- Zoom the entire map using the slider on the left. You can also use your mouse wheel to increase or decrease the map's zoom level.
- Reposition the map by clicking and dragging it or by clicking the directional arrows in the map control widget.
Configuring Map View Options
You can configure the dashboard display in a variety of ways:
- The ranges of the colors that indicate normal, warning and critical performance on the map.
- The ranges of circle sizes that indicate relative load on the map.
- Whether to display the zoom slider and Home button on the map.
- Whether to display a dark or light colored map.
All of these configurations are saved for the next time you log into AppDynamics.
To access the map view options configuration tool
Click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the map or grid panel to get the configuration window.
To configure color ranges representing performance thresholds
Do one of the following:
- Adjust the Network Response Time slider. For example, if you want circles to be red whenever the network request time is 2000 milliseconds or greater, slide the maximum value of the yellow slider value to 2000.
- Double-click the text field that indicates the slider threshold value to make it editable, enter the value of the threshold in the text field, and press the tab key. You can enter as large a value as you like in the field (larger than the current maximum displayed value of the slider) and the displayed range of values for the circle color ranges will adjust accordingly.
To configure circle sizes representing load (total number of network requests)
Adjust the max load circle size slider to make the circles ranges larger or smaller.
To display the map control widget
Check Show Map Controls. To hide them clear this check box. The map controls let you reposition the map using arrows and zoom the map using + and - buttons. After moving or zooming the map, if you want to return to the default zoomed out home view, click the globe icon in the center of the map control widget.
To view a dark colored or light colored map
To view a dark colored map check View Dark Map. To view a light colored map clear this check box.
Unknown Locations in Map and Grid Views
An unknown location is one for which the mobile agent cannot determine the country from which the request originated.
In map view, you may also see a location named "Unknown" in the highest request times and highest loads panels to the right of the map.
In grid view, aggregated metrics for the unknown locations are displayed under the location name "Unknown".
You may also see metrics reported for a location named "Anonymous Proxy". The data for Anonymous Proxy represents the aggregated metrics from one or more private IP addresses that the agent cannot identify