1. From the left navigation pane click Servers -> App Servers.
2. In the App Servers List, click Create Tier.
3. In the Create Tier window click the tier type icon that displays in the flow maps. You can choose from:
4. Click Next.
5. Enter the name and description of the tier.
6. Click Finish.
The new tier appears in the left navigation pane under the assigned type.
If the menu item for the type does not yet exist, it is created. For example, if you create a tier of type Other, the tier appears under Other Servers in the left navigation pane.
7. When you create a new tier manually as described here, it does not have a node or nodes. To reassign an existing node to a new tier use Action -> Move Node in the Node Dashboard. See Move an App Agent for Java Node to a New Application or Tier.
See Mapping Application Services to the AppDynamics Model for more information about tiers and nodes.
After you have created a tier and assigned nodes to it, AppDynamics will start discovering new business transactions for that tier, and will apply any existing policies and health rules to that tier. However, to make sure that you are accurately monitoring all activity related to that tier, it's a good idea to go through the same configuration process that you have already completed for your application as a whole and for other tiers in your applications. Some questions to ask yourself include:
Go through the following documents whenever you add a new tier and customize your configuration as needed.
From the App Server List you can access the Tier and Node Dashboards for specific tiers and nodes.
1. In the App Server List click the Tree View icon. Alternatively use the left navigation panel and expand the listings.
2. In the listing, select the tier or node that you want to view and click View Dashboard.
The dashboard appears. From there you can select the various tabs for details about performance of the tier or node. See Tier Dashboard or Node Dashboard.