On this page:
- Machine Agent Requirements and Supported Environments
- Enable Server Visibility
- .NET Compatibility Mode
Please review the following guidelines and notes if you want to enable Server Visibility.
Server Visibility requires a supported version of the Standalone Machine Agent to be installed on the monitored server. See Machine Agent Requirements and Supported Environments.
Server Visibility features are available for Linux, Windows, and Solaris. You need a Server Visibility license to enable and use Server Visibility features. Server Visibility is enabled by default on AppDynamics controllers. You must explicitly enable Server Visibility on your Standalone Machine Agent to start sending the expanded set of Server Visibility metrics.
You can install and run Standalone Machine Agents on other supported platforms, but Server Visibility features are not available.
- Total number of monitored servers is limited to 4000 per Controller.
- Monitored servers are considered stale 30 days after they go offline. They are purged from the Controller database when that time limit is reached.
- Docker Visibility is supported on Linux only.
Server Visibility on Windows
Note the following.
- It is good practice to check the server frequently to make sure it has the latest Windows updates installed. WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) updates are especially important, because the agent uses WMI to collect Server Visibility metrics.
- The monitored server should have at least 4 cores or multiple CPUs. WMI processes can be highly resource-intensive, especially on Windows Server 2012.
- If you do not have a Server Visibility license, or if you want to collect Basic metrics only, configure the agent to use the JavaHardwareMonitor extension.
- The Windows Machine Agent uses the following extensions by default:
- JavaHardwareMonitor (for Basic metrics)
- ServerMonitoring (for Server Visibility metrics)
- The HardwareMonitor extension is not recommended on Windows.
- If you do not have a Server Visibility license, or you want to collect Basic metrics only, Server Visibility should not be enabled on the agent.
- If you want to enable Server Visibility on a Windows server with a .NET APM agent installed, you must enable .NET Compatibility Mode on both the Controller and the Standalone Machine Agent.