- Open the wizard from the home page in the controller UI by clicking Getting Started.
- Enter the configuration values for the application instance as described in the wizard. You name the node and indicate the tier and business application to which it will belong. If you're not sure of the best values to use, you can use temporary names and change them later.
- When finished, download the agent. How you download the agent varies by agent type. In most cases, the agent comes as a ZIP file that you extract and install in the startup routine of your server. For other types of agents, you may need to modify the instrumented source code, for example, by including the agent library. The wizard walks you through it for each agent type.
- Install the agent on your app server.
- Apply load to your application. If you are instrumenting a production application, this will happen with customer interaction. Otherwise, create some test load on your application. The agent instruments the application code and reports metrics back to the Controller.
- View your application in the Application Dashboard, for example:
The wizard makes it easy to perform a basic installation of the agent with minimal required settings, such as the controller host and port, SSL, application name, and tier name. For advanced options or more complicated scenarios, you need to perform a manual installation of the agent. For more information, see the agent-specific link in the following section.