The following notes describe 4.5.x updates to the Machine Agent.
If an artifact has been updated, the version number of the updated artifact and its availability date are listed below. The version number corresponds to that shown on the download portal (http://download.appdynamics.com).
The most recent releases appear at the top of the page.
4.5.17 (Agent) Updates
Version 188.8.131.528 – January 6, 2020
- The Network Agent bundled with the Machine Agent has been upgraded. See Network Agent Notes.
- For Windows, the data source for a subset of metrics is now Operating System and Hardware Information (OSHI) metrics and no longer Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) metrics. The following metrics have been affected:
- Process Metrics
4.5.16 (Agent) Updates
Version 184.108.40.2061 – October 24, 2019
- We have added Server Visibility support for AIX 7.x. Please see Hardware Resources Metrics for details of the server metrics reported for this OS. Note, If this version of the agent is used with Controllers older than 4.5.16, there will be an “OS not supported” error message displayed: this can safely be ignored, and will not appear with 4.5.16 or later Controllers.
- We have added support for the Network Visibility Extension in the Machine Agent for Windows
Upgraded Apache Ant library to 1.10.7
4.5.15 (Agent) Updates
Version 220.127.116.116 – September 30, 2019
- Support for JRE 1.8.0_212 is bundled with the Machine Agent on Solaris and Windows.
|SERVER‑7120||Upgraded to Apache Commons BeanUtils 1.9.4|
4.5.14 (Agent) Updates
Version 18.104.22.1683 – August 23, 2019
|SERVER‑6203||The Machine Agent with HTTP Listener is now using the correct Machine Agent log when the HTTP Listener throws an exception|
|SERVER-5569||When a Machine Agent uses a proxy, AWS custom tags collection works as expected|
4.5.13 (Agent) Updates
Version 22.214.171.1248 – July 24, 2019
- A warning appears in the Machine Agent logs if the Machine Agent, and a monitored container, have the same host id.
|SERVER‑6348||Install Linux RPM as the root user on RHEL 6|
4.5.12 (Agent) Updates
Version 126.96.36.1995 – June 27, 2019
|SERVER‑6266||Users no longer see non-APM containers if the controller flag |
4.5.11 (Agent) Updates
Version 188.8.131.523 – May 17, 2019
- Support for JRE 1.8.0_212 is bundled with the Machine Agent on Linux.
4.5.10 (Agent) Updates
Version 184.108.40.2061 – April 20, 2019
|SERVER‑5549||The Machine Agent does not send authorization headers for some REST endpoints.|
AppDynamics enables the monitoring of all containers on the host machine through the
sim.docker.monitorAPMContainersOnly property. This property was formerly named
sim.docker.infraMode.enabled. By default, only containers with APM agents running inside are monitored but this behavior can be changed by setting this property to false. There can be a short delay before non-APM containers are monitored when upgrading to the 4.5.10 Machine Agent. This happens where the user sets the
sim.docker.monitorAPMContainersOnly property to enable monitoring of non-APM containers but also has
sim.docker.infraMode.enabled set to true. In this case, the property name change does not happen immediately and non-APM containers won't be monitored until on-line schema migration happens. This takes approximately 4.5 hours after the Controller starts up.
4.5.9 (Agent) Updates
Version 220.127.116.116 – March 21, 2019
|SERVER‑4910||The AppDyamics Agents > Machine Agent page is not showing applications associated with each app-agent container||Machine Agent|
4.5.8 (Agent) Updates
Version 18.104.22.1683 – February 22, 2019
- Support for JRE 1.8.0_162 is bundled with the Machine Agent on Linux.
|SERVER‑5685||From 4.5.4 and later, the Machine Agent is missing the secure credential store utility|
The CPU Busy percentage on Windows is now consistent with the value reported on the Perfmon tool.
4.5.7 (Agent) Updates
Version 22.214.171.1245 – January 25 2019
|SERVER-5833||Machine Agent version 4.5.2+ fails to start because of com.google.inject.CreationException error|
Version 126.96.36.1995 – October 25, 2018
Cannot update RPM Standalone Machine Agent due to a packaging error
Version 188.8.131.521 – October 8, 2018
- Starting in 4.5.2, the Machine Agent is backward compatible with Controller versions 4.4.0 and newer.
|SERVER‑4467||Machine Agent not collecting data when the collector script contains non-ASCII characters|
|SERVER-4720||The HardwareMonitor extension (OS Specific) reports incorrect memory metrics on RHEL 7.x when REPORT_MEMORY_FREE_AS_MEMORY_AVAILABLE is enabled.|
|SERVER-4892||Machine agent should retrieve agent truststore from the <machine_agent_home>/conf directory, not the <machine_agent_home> directory.|
July 11, 2018
Important Note about Changes in Dynamic Monitoring from Previous Releases
Starting in release 4.5, Dynamic Monitoring Mode (DMM) is enabled by default on all Standalone Machine Agents. Because the default mode for all agents is KPI, only KPI metrics are collected by default in this release. This is true for the following metrics:
This change can affect any user-defined features created in previous releases that rely on Diagnostic or Advanced Diagnostic metrics. Examples include Health Rules, Dashboards, and scripts with metric API calls.
AppDynamics strongly recommends that you disable these user-defined features, edit them to use KPI metrics instead, or increase the Dynamic Monitoring Mode on the relevant agents.
For more information, see
- The Standalone Machine Agent is now supported on Windows Server 2016.
- The Standalone Machine Agent is no longer supported on Windows Server 2008 or Debian 7.
Machine Agent cannot collect OS info on Red Hat Extended Linux 7.4
Enabling sim.machines.reuse.enabled sometimes results in thread pool saturation and prevents Standalone Machine Agent from communicating with Controller
In some cases, Machine Agent stops collecting process metrics even after machine/global max thresholds are increased
Machine Agent is not reporting processes, networks, and volumes when running in Container
Machine Agent not reporting metrics on docker when process command contains space
Hierarchy name check is case-sensitive, which prevents Standalone Machine Agent registration
Number of CPUs reported by Standalone Machine Agent is sometimes inaccurate on Windows
Cannot update RPM Standalone Machine Agent due to a packaging error
- Reset Machine Agent action on the AppDynamics Agents window is not available for 4.4 and higher Machine Agents.
- (Windows only) The JavaHardwareMonitor extension and the ServerMonitoring extension (introduced in 4.2) assign network names differently. If you have any health rules based on JavaHardwareMonitor names, and you want to use these rules with the ServerMonitoring extension, you will need to update the names that these rules are based on.