This topic describes how to export and import the application configuration in the Controller. Application export/import allows you to back up just a single application configuration in the Controller, as opposed to the entire Controller instance, as described in Controller Data Backup and Restore.
What Settings Are Exported?
You can export a business application configuration and import it as a new business application. The two applications can be on the same or different Controllers. If on different Controllers they must be using the same major version of AppDynamics.
The export is in the form of an XML file that includes:
- Snapshot collection settings
- Call graph settings
- Error configuration
- Stall configuration and Business Transaction thresholds
- HTTP and SQL Data gatherer settings
- Tier and Node definitions
- Custom entry point configurations for Business Transactions
- Metric baselines
- Information point configurations
The configuration information does not include data such as Events, Health Rule Violations, and metrics. Nor does it include configuration artifacts not related to the business application, such as users, dashboards, policies, database, and remote services, or schedules.
Export a Business Application
To export the application, from the Applications home page, choose Export Application from the action menu for the business application you want to export.
Your browser downloads the XML-formatted configuration file for the application.
Import a Business Application
To import an application configuration, you must be logged in as a user with Administrator user role privileges. You also need access to a previously exported configuration file.
To import the configuration, follow these steps:
- From the Applications page, click Actions > Import.
- Select the XML file that contains the configuration you want to import. You can choose to import into an existing business application or create a new one.
- Choose the configuration settings you want to import. Options include configuration settings for app agents, data collectors, health rules, MDS (scoped instrumentation settings), and more.
- Click OK to start importing. The import process first validates the file. As it proceeds, it shows the status for each type of artifact in the Import Application dialog.
- When done, close the Import Application dialog.
Application import does not work over HTTPS if the Controller uses a self-signed SSL certificate. Use a trusted, CA-signed certificate instead. See Controller SSL and Certificates