This quick start guide describes how to use the Enterprise Console to discover existing AppDynamics components, such as a Controller, and use it to upgrade them. Note that you can only discover components that run version 4.1 or later.
Install the Enterprise Console
You can install the Enterprise Console on the same host as the Controller, or provide a separate host for installation.
Install the Enterprise Console with the following command:
The installation wizard launches. Complete the wizard to install the Enterprise Console. For more information about how to install the application, see Enterprise Console.
Verify that the Enterprise Console successfully installed by opening the GUI using the host and port you specified during installation:
9191 is the default port.
Discover and Upgrade with the Enterprise Console GUI
The options presented are based on the state of your platform. If you have not created a platform, choose Discovery from the options presented. Complete the wizard to create a platform, add hosts, and discover the Controller and Events Service.
If you created a platform already, such as with the CLI, complete the following steps:
- Identify the host(s) where the Controller and Events Service are installed.
On the Credentials page, add credentials to the platform if you are using remote hosts.Remember to provide the private key file for the Enterprise Console machine when adding a credential.
- Navigate to the Hosts page and add hosts.
- If the Controller and Events Service are installed on the same host as the Enterprise Console, simply select Add Enterprise Console Host.
- If the Controller and Events Service are installed on different hosts than the Enterprise Console, input the host(s). Select a credential for the host(s) and add credentials to the platform.
Discover and Upgrade with the CLI
- Navigate to the directory where you installed the Enterprise Console.
Create a platform with the following command:
Add credentials that the platform can use to access hosts with the following command:
<file path to the key file>is the private key for the Enterprise Console machine. The installation process deploys the keys to the hosts.
Add hosts to the platform:
At a minimum, make sure to bootstrap all of the hosts where the AppDynamics server-side components, namely the Controller and Events Service, are installed.
You may also use the loopback address '127.0.0.1' or the machine's actual hostname in place of 'localhost'.