Events indicate some type of change in the state of a monitored application. You can define the conditions that trigger these types of events, depending on what makes sense for your application.
Events appear in various places in the AppDynamics UI. For APM, you can view events that have occurred in the active time range by selecting the Events tab from the dashboard of the business application, business transaction, tier or node of interest. From there you can learn more about a specific event by selecting it from the list and viewing its details.
For EUM, you can select Events from the EUM application navigation menu on the left. Event information for Database and Server Monitoring is similarly accessible in the left menu.
The UI pages show only a subset of the events generated in AppDynamics, particularly those most likely to be of interest. A large number of additional event types, called internal events, are available via the REST API. The Events Reference provides a list of most of the AppDynamics events.
While you can discover and analyze events by browsing the Controller UI, it's likely that you will want to configure policies that alert you or invoke automated actions in response to particular events, as described in Alert and Respond.
An event is purged after two weeks, at which point it is no longer accessible. To save an event beyond the normal snapshot lifespan—for example, if you want to make sure an event associated with a particular problem is retained for future analysis—you can archive the event.
For an on-premise controllers, administrators can modify the default two-week period by configuring the events.retention.period property in the Controller Settings section of the Administration console.
To archive an event:
- Select the event event in the events list.
- Click Actions and then Archive Event.
- Click Archive to confirm the action.
The archive icon () in the right column indicates that an event has been archived. To view all archived events in a long list of events, you can click the column heading to sort by archiving. This groups the archived events together.
Start a Virtual War Room from Events
You can start a Virtual War Room from the More Actions menu or by by right-clicking an event and choosing Start War Room from the right-click menu.
Filter Custom Events
The AppDynamics REST API enables you to define custom events. You can then filter on those events by creating a custom filter, as follows:
- Open the filter options on the Events page.
- Find the Filter by Custom Events section at the bottom of the panel, and click the add icon (+).
- In the Add Custom Event Filter dialog, enter the name of the custom event type.
- Optionally, specify filtering event properties as key/value pairs. The custom event needs to contain the property values you specify to satisfy the filter. If you add multiple properties, a match value of All applies an AND operator to the list, meaning all properties need to match for the filter to be satisfied. Any indicates a logical OR, meaning at least one property must exist and match for the filter to be satisfied.