This documentation mentions features that are currently beta. AppDynamics reserves the right to change the features at any time before making them generally available as well as never making them generally available. Any buying decisions should be made based on features that are currently generally available.
Server Monitoring - Beta features are currently available only for Linux. Standalone Machine Agents for version 4.1 can be installed and registered on other supported operating systems and will collect metrics and run extensions as usual however the Server Monitoring Beta features will not be available.
In 4.1 the Server Monitoring - Beta features are disabled by default.
To participate in the Server Monitoring beta program, visit this website: Server Monitoring Beta.
- Total number of monitored servers is limited to 2000 per account.
- Monitored servers are considered stale 30 days after they go offline. They are purged from the Controller database when that time limit is reached.
Enable Server Monitoring Beta
To enable the Server Monitoring Beta features, you must do each of the following three steps. Details are below and assume that you have already installed and configured the Standalone Machine Agent.
- Enable the Controller with JVM option, -Dappdynamics.controller.sim.enabled=true and restart controller.
- Add the SIM property to the account: SIM_ENABLED=true.
- Enable the machine agent with -Dappdynamics.sim.enabled=true.
(Optional) Change the default process monitoring configuration. See Configure Process Monitoring.
Enable Server Monitoring - Beta on the Controller
(New for 220.127.116.11) To enable monitoring and reporting of the additional metrics available in the beta version of Server Monitoring, set the JVM option, -Dappdynamics.controller.sim.enabled=true and restart the Controller. There are two ways to do this, use the modify JvmOptions tools or edit the Glassfish domain.xml file.
Use the modifyJvmOptions tool
On the Controller, use the modifyJvmOptions tool to set the
appdynamics.controller.sim.enabledJVM option to "true". For example:
modifyJvmOptions.sh add -Dappdynamics.controller.sim.enabled=true
Restart the Controller:
Edit the Glassfish domain.xml file
Edit the Glassfish domain.xml file and add the JVM option. The domain.xml file is located in the domain configuration directory, which is typically <domain-dir>/config.
Restart the Controller:
Add the SIM property to the AppDynamics Controller account
- Log out of the Controller.
- Log in as a user with administrative privileges using <controller_home>/controller/admin.jsp#location=ADMIN_HOME.
- Click Accounts, <customer name>, and select Edit.
- Click Add Properties and add an additional account property, SIM_ENABLED. Set SIM_ENABLED to "true".
- Save changes to the account and log out.
- Log in to the Controller home page.
The new "Infrastructure" tab is now available.
Enable Server Monitoring Beta on the Agent
Linux (using systemD or SysV), installed using RPM
<machine_agent_home>/etc/sysconfig/appdynamics-machine-agentfile and add this line:
Start the machine agent.
Linux installed using RPM
From the Command line, enter the following:
Linux, installed using the JRE Bundled Archive
<machine_agent_home>/etc/sysconfig/appdynamics-machine-agentfile to include the JAVA_OPTS environment variable (which works for both SysV and systemD):
Start the agent as usual.
Linux installed using the non-JRE bundled, Non-OS Specific Zip file
From the command line, enter:
Configure Process Monitoring
The processes that are monitored. Default is all user processes.
- How to group the processes. Default is the first word of the command.
- How to class the processes. Default is the first word of the command.
In the config.sh file, you can also define:
- The minimum time the process must be alive before being monitored. Default is 60 seconds.
- The maximum number of processes to monitor. Default is 100 processes.
- Total number of processes reported in a single call, currently 5000 processes/call.
- Total number of processes allowed per account, 10000 processes/account