AppDynamics Application Intelligence Platform
Use these instructions to install the Node.js Agent using the Agent Download Wizard in the Controller.
If you downloaded the agent from the AppDynamics download zone, see Install the Node.js Agent.
There are four steps to instrument your Node.js application and begin monitoring:
1. Setup: Use the Agent Download Wizard to set up the agent.
2. Install and Configure: Run the install script and configure the connection to the controller.
3. Apply Load: Restart your application and apply load to activate instrumentation.
4. View Your Application: Log on to the Controller to monitor application performance.
The Agent Download Wizard walks you through configuration steps and helps you download the agent.
1. Log on to the Controller and click the Agent Download Wizard tab.
The download wizard configures the agent with information to connect to the Controller.
2. Click Node.js, then click Next.
3. The Controller Location URL window displays the connection info for the Controller. Click Next.
Click SSL to enable SSL encryption between the agent and the Controller. Enter the SSL port. For AppDynamics SaaS, the SSL port is 443.
4. Enter an application name or, click an existing application name if one exists. Then click Next.
For new users, it is OK to use the default "MyApp". You can change it later when know more about how you want to organize your applications in AppDynamics.
5. Enter a tier name. Then click Next.
For new users, it is OK to use the default "MyTier". You can change it later when know more about how you want to organize your applications in AppDynamics.
1. From the root directory of your Node.js application run this command: npm install appdynamics
2. Insert the require statement generated by the wizard in the application source code at the first line of the main module (such as the server.js file), before any other require statements. You can copy the code in the wizard and paste it directly into your application. Each require statement is especially generated for your app based on the values you configured in the previous setup steps.
Now you're ready to restart your application and put some load on it.
Log on to the Controller to see your application in action.
From here, you can install more agents or you can begin monitoring your application. The links below will help you get started: