Use crash dashboards and crash snapshots to troubleshoot mobile application crashes.
Identifying Criteria of Applications that Crash Most Often
Sometimes most of your crashes share one or more criteria. In other words, your application crashes more often on certain devices or operating systems or carriers or connections.
To identify criteria of applications that crash
- In the left navigation pane click either End User Experience->iOS for iOS applications or End User Experience->Android for Android applications.
The Mobile APM dashboard opens.
- Click the Crashes tab.
- Click the Dashboard subtab if it is not already selected.
- In the Crashes vs Requests graph, identify values that are significantly above the Average line. For example, if a device name is above the line, that type of device is experiencing more crashes than would be expected for the current load.
- Scroll down to the section for the criteria that seem to be experiencing more crashes.
- In the line graph, note the times that crashes spike. You can hover over a point on the graph to see the exact number of crashes at that time.
- Note the criteria (in this example the IPad 2 WIFI device) and the time that most crashes seem to occur.
Finding Causes of Crashes
After you have identified which applications are causing most of your crashes and approximately when most crashes occur, you can examine a few of those individual crashes to identify the cause.
To find root cause of individual crashes
- In the Crashes tab of Mobile APM Dashboard, click the Crash Snapshots subtab.
- Click Filters.
- Check the check box for the criteria of apps experiencing the most crashes that you identified in Identifying Criteria of Applications that Crash Most Often.
This filters the crash snapshots list to display only snapshots of crashed applications meeting those criteria.
- In the crash snapshots list, select and double-click a snapshot that occurred around the time that most crashes occurred. In the stack trace of the crash snapshot, note the thread and function in which the crash occurred. For some crashes the crashed line number is also available.
- Optional: Click Download to get a text version of the stack trace to send to your application development team.