AppDynamics uses Microsoft Windows Performance Counters to gather .NET metrics. These preconfigured CLR metrics can be viewed from the Node Dashboard and in the Metric Browser.
Refer to the Microsoft documentation for more information:
CLR metrics give insight into how the .NET runtime is performing. The AppDynamics preconfigured CLR metrics include:
- .NET CLR memory usage
- Total classes loaded and how many are currently loaded
- Garbage collection time spent, and detailed metrics about GC memory pools and caching
- Locks and thread usage
- Memory heap and non-heap usage, including the large object heap
- Percent CPU process usage
To access the Node Dashboard
1. Select the business application.
2. In the left navigation pane, click Servers -> App Servers -> <Tier> -> <Node>.
AppDynamics displays the Node Dashboard for the selected node.
3. Click the tab for the metrics you want to view.
See Node Dashboard for more details.
To access the Metric Browser
- In the left navigation pane of the Controller, click Analyze -> Metric Browser.
- Expand the Application Infrastructure Performance branch of the Metric Tree.
- Expand the tier that you want to view.
- Expand the tree for each category of metrics.
- To view the CLR metrics in the Metric Browser, expand Application Infrastructure Performance -> <Node> -> CLR.
See Metric Browser for more details.
Alerting for CLR Health
You can set up health rules based on the infrastructure metrics. Once you have a health rule, you can create specific policies based on health rule violations. One type of response to a health rule violation is an alert.
In addition to the default metrics, you may be interested in additional metrics. You can specify additional performance counters to be reported by the .NET Machine Agent. See Enable Monitoring for Windows Performance Counters for details.
Once you add a custom metric you can create a health rule for it and receive alerts when conditions indicate problems.
See Alert and Respond for details on health rules and policies.