AppDynamics Application Intelligence Platform
This topic describes how to integrate AppDynamics with the BMC End User Experience Management (EUEM) appliance.
Note that this feature was previously known as Coradiant. See http://www.bmc.com/products/brand/coradiant.html for information about the integration with BMC.
An AppDynamics for BMC Software Solutions license is required.
Steps 1 through 3 are for on-premise installations. If you are using the AppDynamics SaaS Controller, skip to Step 4.
2. Stop the Controller. Go to the command line console and execute the following command:
For Windows, in an elevated command prompt, run:
For Linux, run:
3. Open the AppDynamics Controller domain.xml file located at <controller_install>/appdynamics-controller/appserver/glassfish/domains/domain1/config. Configure the host name using the following JVM options:
The controller_host is the IP address or domain (www.host.com) host that you configured during Controller installation. For details see Install the Controller on Linux or Install the Controller on Windows.
For example, if the controller_host was configured to 220.127.116.11, the -D property will have the following value:
The controller.services.hostName property is used to connect the BMC EUEM User Interface with the AppDynamics Controller. The URL points to a snapshot in the AppDynamics UI. The host name should be an IP or domain name that is accessible to the end users of the EUEM and AppDynamics user interfaces. If you need to change the hostName see Changing the Host Name.
4. In the Controller domain.xml file, change the setting of the appdynamics.controller.ui.deeplink.url property. The property requires a full URL.
5. Save the domain.xml file.
6. Restart the Controller at a command line console:
For Windows, in an elevated command prompt, run:
For Linux, run:
7. Configure the Integration Parameters.
From a browser, log in to the AppDynamics Admin UI as the Admin user:
Note: The UI may not open the Accounts screen if the Controller is not in multi-tenant mode. To work around this, use the URL parameter enableAccounts=true.
8. Click Controller Settings to open the list of controller settings.
9. Set the vendor identifier to "ad" and click Save.
10. Set the server identifier and click Save.
A server identifier is required.
Set this property to "CONTROLLER_1".
11. On the left navigation pane, Click Accounts to open the Accounts list.
12. Double-click the customer1 account row to open the customer1 account properties editor.
13. Set the BMC EUEM integration properties. An AppDynamics for BMC Software Solutions license is required for these options to be available.
These instructions apply to Real User Analyzer or Real User Monitor.
1. Log in to BMC EUEM as the security officer.
2. Navigate to Administration->Integration->Application Visibility servers.
3. Add an Application Visibility server with the following parameters:
The integration is successful when the response headers from AppDynamics are visible in the BMC EUEM UI. There are two ways to verify the integration:
1. In the BMC End User Experience Management UI (Real User Monitor or Real User Analyzer), navigate to the Administration->Integration->Application Visibility servers page.
2. Check whether the configured AppDynamics server has a green checkmark under the Connection column.
3. If there is a green checkmark, hover the mouse over the icon under the computer icon and verify the settings of the AppDynamics server.
1. In the BMC End User Experience Management UI (Real User Monitor or Real User Analyzer), open the Reference lists menu.
2. Select Object custom fields then Trace (object-level).
3. There should be a list of values for this custom field in the form of:
If the integration is successful, you will see a list of values captured by AppDynamics.
If you do not see any values for the Trace custom field, either the BMC EUEM system is not configured properly or no headers are being sent by the AppDynamics system. For assistance see Troubleshooting BMC EUEM-AppDynamics Integration.
When integrating BMC EUEM with AppDynamics SaaS Controllers, the username and password must be provided during the integration.
For a multi-tenant Controller such as the AppDynamics SaaS Controller, the user name format is
<user-name>@<account-name>. SaaS customers receive the user-name and account-name in the Welcome email sent by the AppDynamics Support Team.
The following table summarizes the settings that are required to enable a successful BMC EUEM-AppDynamics integration.
What to set
Application Visibility server (AppDynamics Controller) URL
Controller SaaS User credentials
Controller host name or IP address
controller.services.hostName in the domain.xml file
default is 8090
Controller deep Link URL
appdynamics.controller.ui.deeplink.url in the domain.xml file
Controller vendor ID
controller.server.identifier property in the Controller Settings must be "ad"
Controller server name
controller.vendor.identifier property in the Controller Settings
Turn on EUEM in AppDynamics
the BMC End User Experience Management Enabled option in the Accounts Settings
URL pointing to a BMC EUEM Real User Analyzer or BMC EUEM Real User Monitor
The BMC End User Experience Management Server URL setting in the Account Settings
To determine where a problem may lie, check the following information.
In the license, check to make sure that you have the following line:
Normally this line does not show, but it can be seen if you check "BMC integration" in Salesforce.
Open the Controller URL in a browser that is in the same network segment as the BMC EUEM Real User Analyzer/Monitor:
An XML file with AppDynamics metadata should display. If it does not, then the Controller is not available. If you are using the SaaS server, contact AppDynamics Support. If you are using an on-premise server, you may need to restart it.
In the BMC EUEM UI, the AppDynamics URL should be:
The Controller services host name option should be set to your Controller server:
The controller_host is the IP or domain address that accesses the Controller on your network. The Controller uses this address when it provides deep links to snapshots.
For AppDynamics 3.3.3 and newer, in the Administration -> Controller Settings the controller.server.identifier property must be correct. When using the Controller SaaS service, it must be exactly set to:
Also the controller.vendor.identifier property must be exactly set to:
Remember to Save each property!
Also check the Administration->Accounts->Account Details settings and confirm that:
For AppDynamics 3.3.2 and older, use these settings:
The last character "/" is required.
Remember to save each property!
When the integration settings change in the Controller Admin UI, the Agent must restart for the changes to take effect.
Follow this procedure to get details about snapshots.
1. In AppDynamics, locate a snapshot with a call graph and copy the request GUID. In BMC EUEM this is called the trace ID (tid).
2. In a text file, construct a URL for the snapshot that includes the request tid/GUID:
3. Run the URL in a browser and see what is returned. For example:
4. Copy the <displayurl> and run it in a browser. You should see the snapshot.
If you receive a 500 error, check your license. You may not have an enterprise license.
The Application Visibility integration works by allowing you to navigate from a page view in the Session browser to a transaction on the AppDynamics system. The best way to look for pages with an AppDynamics link is to create a Page Watchpoint with the following filter expression:
From the Watchpoints page, use the Action button associated with this watchpoint to drill down to these pages and access the Session browser.
Next to each page there can be four types of icons representing different statuses about the link from the page to the AppDynamics transaction. They are explained as follows.
Note: If you refresh the Session browser result window, all the Snapshot status will be rechecked for the pages shown. This is a good way to quickly check the new status after you've made some changes.
If the Session browser result window displays a lot of pages, a timeout may be reached when requesting the status for all of them from the AppDynamics controller. By default this timeout is 12 seconds. If there is a firewall or network device that adds latency to the communication between BMC EUEM and AppDynamics systems then this timeout will need to be increased.
To increase the timeout contact a BMC Support engineer.
1. Log into EUEM as the security officer and access this URL:
2. Click the link for “Application Visibility events log”.