This topic describes how to export and import the application configuration in the Controller. Application export/import allows you to back up just a single application configuration in the Controller (as opposed to the entire Controller instance, as described in Controller Data Backup and Restore).
Other artifacts can be exported as well. For Java entry points, custom match rules, and exclude rules, see Import and Export Transaction Detection Configuration for Java. For JMX configurations, see Create, Import or Export JMX Metric Configurations.
Copying Business Application Configurations
You can export a business application configuration and import it as a new business application.
The two applications can be on the same or different Controllers. If on different Controllers they must be using the same major version of AppDynamics.
The configuration information is in an XML file that includes:
- Snapshot collection settings
- Call graph settings
- SLA configurations
- Error configuration
- Stall configuration and Business Transaction thresholds
- HTTP and SQL Data gatherer settings
- Tier information
- Custom entry point configurations for Business Transactions
- Memory configurations
- Metric baselines
- Information point configurations
The configuration information does not include account data for:
- User preferences
- LDAP configuration
- Email/Notification configuration
These application level configurations are not included:
- Databases & Remote Services
Metrics and other runtime data are not included in the configuration.
To export an application configuration
- In the Application Dashboard, click Action (the lightning bolt) -> Export.
- Click Export.
AppDynamics creates an XML file containing application configurations.
Alternatively, you can use the Action -> Export menu in the All Applications Dashboard.
To import configuration information
You must have an Administrator role to import an application configuration. See Configure Roles.
Application import will not work over HTTPS if you use a self-signed SSL certificate. Use a customer certificate. See Controller SSL and Certificates.
- In the Application Dashboard, click Import Application.
- Select the XML file that was exported.
- Enter a name for the application.
- Click Import.
AppDynamics creates a new application with the copied configuration.