Creating a New Tier in an Application
To create a tier
1. From the left navigation pane click Servers -> App Servers.
2. In the App Servers List, click Create Tier.
3. In the Create Tier window click the tier type icon that displays in the flow maps. You can choose from:
- .NET Application Server
- Application Server (Java)
- Database Server
- Load Balancer
- Messaging Server
- PHP Application Server
- Web Server
4. Click Next.
5. Enter the name and description of the tier.
6. Click Finish.
The new tier appears in the left navigation pane under the assigned type.
If the menu item for the type does not yet exist, it is created. For example, if you create a tier of type Other, the tier appears under Other Servers in the left navigation pane.
7. When you create a new tier manually as described here, it does not have a node or nodes. To reassign an existing node to a new tier use Action -> Move Node in the Node Dashboard. See Move an App Agent for Java Node to a New Application or Tier.
See Mapping Application Services to the AppDynamics Model for more information about tiers and nodes.
Monitoring a New Tier
After you have created a tier and assigned nodes to it, AppDynamics will start discovering new business transactions for that tier, and will apply any existing policies and health rules to that tier. However, to make sure that you are accurately monitoring all activity related to that tier, it's a good idea to go through the same configuration process that you have already completed for your application as a whole and for other tiers in your applications. Some questions to ask yourself include:
- Does the activity on this tier represent any new business functionality that should be monitored as a new Business Transaction?
- Is there any new business information that should be instrumented via an Information Point or Service Endpoint?
- Are there any new classes or methods that should be instrumented with custom instrumentation?
- Are there new conditions for which alerts should be configured?
- Does a custom dashboard need to be created or updated to reflect activity on the new tier?
Go through the following documents whenever you add a new tier and customize your configuration as needed.
Policies and Health Rules
Viewing Detailed Information about a Tier or Node
From the App Server List you can access the Tier and Node Dashboards for specific tiers and nodes.
To View Detailed Information about a Tier or Node
1. In the App Server List click the Tree View icon. Alternatively use the left navigation panel and expand the listings.
2. In the listing, select the tier or node that you want to view and click View Dashboard.
The dashboard appears. From there you can select the various tabs for details about performance of the tier or node. See Tier Dashboard or Node Dashboard.