AppDynamics Application Intelligence Platform
A threshold is a boundary of acceptable or normal business transaction or background task performance. See Thresholds.
AppDynamics provides default thresholds and you can configure them for your own environment.
To access threshold configuration:
1. Click Configure -> Slow Transaction Thresholds in the left navigation pane.
2. Click the User Transaction Thresholds or Background Transactions Thresholds tab depending on the type of entity for which you want to configure thresholds.
Thresholds for End User Monitoring (EUM) are configured separately. For information about EUM thresholds see Configuring EUM Thresholds.
You can configure the thresholds for slow and very slow requests and for stalls. When a transaction or task exceeds a threshold, AppDynamics starts capturing snapshots of it. See Transaction Snapshots. Because the snapshots are not normally captured while performance is within normal range, the snapshots often do not contain the full call graph for the transaction.
You can configure dynamic thresholds using either percentage of standard deviation measurements.
A percentage deviation threshold is based on the moving average of the transaction instances over a certain interval. In the following example, if the average response time is x milliseconds, a slow transaction would be one which is 50% over x milliseconds over the last two hours.
A standard deviation threshold is also based on a moving average of the transaction instances over a certain interval, but it uses a multiple of the standard deviation rather than a percentage. The following configuration defines a transaction as very slow if it exceeds 4 times the standard deviation over the last two hours.
You can also configure a static threshold using static values.
1. In the left navigation pane, click Configure -> Slow Transaction Thresholds.
2. Click the User Transaction Thresholds tab to configure transaction thresholds.
3. In the thresholds tree list, select the scope of the threshold, either:
4. In the thresholds section, configure the thresholds by selecting the radio button for the type of threshold (dynamic based on percentage, dynamic based on standard deviation or static) and entering the threshold values in the text fields. You can also disable stall detection if desired.
5. Optional: If you want to apply the new settings to existing business transactions, check Apply to all Existing Business Transactions.
6. Click Save Default Slow Thresholds (for default thresholds) or Save Slow Transaction Thresholds (for individual thresholds).
AppDynamics displays the resulting performance data in the Transaction Scorecard section of the application and business transaction dashboards.
To configure thresholds for background tasks see Configure Background Tasks.