Configure action suppression using the Action Suppression Wizard.
To access action suppression configuration
1. Click Alert & Respond -> Actions.
2. Click the Action Suppression tab.
3. To edit an existing action suppression configuration, select the configuration in the list and click the Edit icon.
4. To delete an existing action suppression configuration, select the configuration in the list and click the Delete icon.
5. To create a new action suppression configuration click the Add icon.
The Action Suppression Wizard appears when you edit or add a configuration.
Structure of the Action Suppression Wizard
The Action Suppression Wizard contains three panels:
1. Overview: Sets:
- configuration name
- option to suppress metrics reporting by agents associated with the affected objects
2. Object Scope: Sets the objects affected by the configuration.
The options presented vary according to the scope set in the Overview panel.
3. Health Rule Scope: Sets the events that trigger action suppression.
By default, all events on the affected objects trigger action suppression. You can restrict action suppression to apply only to violations of specific health rules
You can navigate among these panels using the Back and Next buttons at the bottom of each panel or by clicking their entries in the left panel of the wizard. When you create a new configuration, configure the panels in order because the configuration of the scope in the Overview panel determines the available affected objects presented in the object scope panel.
Configuring General Action Suppression Settings
Configure general settings in the Overview panel.
To configure general action suppression settings
1. In the Overview panel of the Action Suppression Wizard:
- If you are creating a new configuration, enter the configuration name in the Name field.
- If you are editing an existing configuration, the name will already be there.
2. Click one of the object types in the Scope list to select the type of entity affected by the configuration.
If you choose Application, policy actions are suppressed for all entities in the application.
3. If you want to suppress metric collection and reporting while actions are being suppressed, check the Disable reporting for associated agents checkbox.
If you want the agent to continue to report metrics while actions are being suppressed, this checkbox should be clear.
4. Enter the time period that action suppression is in effect.
- Start Time: Choose Now, or configure a starting Date/Time in the future.
Now is the time at which the configuration is enabled.
- End Time: Configure After and the number of hours (as an integer) that the configuration is in effect after the start time, or configure an ending Date/Time in the future.
5. Click Next.
Configuring Object Scope for Action Suppression
In the Object Scope panel of the Action Suppression Wizard you can define the object scope of the configuration broadly or fine-tune it very precisely to suppress actions for specific objects in your application.
To configure object scope
1. In the Object Scope panel, select the objects affected by this configuration.
The choices presented in this panel depend on the scope configured in the Overview panel.
See Objects Affected by Action Suppression for information about the types of objects that you can select.
If the object scope is Application, there is no configuration to be done in this panel, so click Next and skip to Configuring Health Rules for Action Suppression.
2. For types other than Application, configure the object scope using the tools in the panel. The display varies depending on the type of object.
If your configuration includes selecting specific objects, move those objects from the other" list to the "selected" list.
You can either drag and drop the objects from one list to the other or select them and click Add or Remove as appropriate.
3. Click Next.
Configuring Health Rules for Action Suppression
In the Health Rules panel of the Action Suppression Wizard you can specify the health rules affected by the configuration.
To suppress actions for all health rule violations
1. Leave the Only suppress Action execution for these specified health rules checkbox clear.
2. Click Save to save the configuration.
To suppress actions triggered by only certain health rules
1. Check the Only suppress Action execution for these specified health rules checkbox.
2. For each health rule to be affected by the configuration, click + to select the health rule from a list.
To delete a health rule from the suppression list select it and click the Delete icon.
3. Click Save.