Download page Configure the .NET Machine Agent.
Configure the .NET Machine Agent
The AppDynamics .NET Agent includes an embedded .NET Machine Agent that runs as part of the
AppDynamics.Agent.Coordinator service. Among other things, the Machine Agent regularly gathers system performance data and reports it back to the Controller as metrics.
Do not confuse the .NET Machine Agent with the Machine Agent, a Java application. The Machine Agent provides the capability to use extensions such as plugins, metric listeners, and orchestrations. See Machine Agent.
The app agent MSI file and .NET Agent Configuration Utility automatically install and configure the .NET Machine Agent to connect to the Controller. The connection information is the same for the app agent and the .NET Machine agent. See Configure the .NET Agent.
To manage the .NET Machine Agent from the Controller, see 'Manage the .NET Machine Agent' on Monitor Windows Hardware Resources.
Customize .NET Machine Agent Behavior
Customize instrumentation settings for the Machine Agent element in the config.xml file. See 'Where to Configure Agent Properties' on Administer the .NET Agent.
- Shut down the AppDynamics.Agent.Coordinator service.
config.xmlfile as an administrator. See 'Where to Configure Agent Properties' on Administer the .NET Agent.
machine-agentelement and add any children elements according to the .NET Machine Agent configuration topics.
- Start the
- In some cases, you may need to restart IIS, instrumented Windows services or instrumented applications. See individual .NET Machine Agent configuration topics.
.NET Machine Agent Configuration Options
These topics describe specific customizations for the .NET Machine Agent:
- Manage Windows Performance Metrics
- Thread Correlation for .NET
- Enable Correlation for .NET Remoting
- Enable Instrumentation for WCF Data Services
- Configure Machine Snapshots for .NET
Configure the .NET Machine Agent Without App Agents
If you want to monitor the Windows hardware performance data, but do not want to monitor any .NET applications, you can configure the .NET Machine agent to run without the .NET Agent.
- Install the .NET Agent for Windows.
- Launch the AppDynamics Agent Configuration utility and follow the steps until you reach the Assign IIS applications to tiers pane.
- Click Manual for the method of tier generation and assignment and click Next.
- Do not assign any IIS applications to tiers, click Next.
If you configured any Windows services or applications, manually disable those agents in the
- Continue with the remaining steps and click Done.
Monitoring resumes for the .NET Machine Agent only. Metrics appear in the Controller under the Machine Agent tier, see Monitor Windows Hardware Resources.