To monitor .NET applications with AppDynamics, you install the .NET Agent on the servers where the applications run. You only need to install the agent once per server even to monitor more than one application on the server. This page describes how to install the .NET Agent for IIS applications using the Getting Started wizard in the Controller.
For alternative approaches, see:
- Install the .NET Agent for Windows, if you downloaded the agent directly from the AppDynamics Download Center.
- Configure the .NET Agent for Windows Services and Standalone Applications, if you monitor Windows services or standalone applications.
Before You Begin
- Verify support for your environment at .NET Supported Environments.
- Confirm that you have access to a compatible Controller. See Agent and Controller Compatibility.
- Confirm the connection settings to the Controller where your agent will report data:
- If you use a SaaS Controller, AppDynamics sent you the Controller hostname in your Welcome Email. Use port 443 for HTTPS, or port 80 for HTTP.
- If you use an on-premises Controller, you supplied the hostname and port during installation.
- Verify that you have access to the machine (where the application runs) as a user account with privileges to install the agent software, and restart the application.
- Verify that the machine where the application runs can connect to the Controller. Proxies or firewalls on the network between the agent and Controller may require additional configuration.
Install the .NET Agent
To install the agent for IIS applications:
- Log in to the Controller UI and access the Getting Started Wizard for .NET.
- Follow the steps in the wizard to configure and download the agent. The wizard guides you through some preliminary configuration steps.
When finished, the wizard enables you to download the agent as a ZIP archive named (in format of):
- Extract the agent archive on the destination computer.
- Launch an elevated command prompt with full administrator privileges.
- Execute the Installer.bat file you extracted. The batch file installs the agent and starts the AppDynamics Agent Coordinator service.
- Restart IIS.
- If you are in a testing environment, apply load to your application to view the activity in the Controller UI.
- Log in to the AppDynamics Controller to access your application and view activity similar to:
Next, you can install more agents, or begin monitoring your application. See AppDynamics Essentials.