In AppDynamics, instrumentation refers to how app agents interact with your application software to gather performance data and report it back to the AppDynamics Controller. The first step to instrumenting your application is installing the app agents on the servers where the code runs.
App agents ship with default instrumentation settings that cover the most common types of application frameworks and programming patterns. If your requirements are more complex, you can customize the instrumentation behavior to suit your environment.
See Configure Instrumentation Overview for information on how AppDynamics applies instrumentation settings across your business application.
Access Instrumentation Settings
Navigate to Configuration > Instrumentation to customize the following:
- Transaction detection rules that define entry points for business transactions.
- Backend detection rules that define exit points for your business transactions.
- Error detection settings that define which transactions qualify as error transactions.
- Service endpoints to view metrics specific to services and transaction segments outside the context of a single business transaction.
- Diagnostic data collectors for an app agent to extract additional context about a specific transaction at transaction snapshot time. You can also configure data collectors for Application Analytics.
- Call Graph Settings to tune the amount of data the app agent collects for call graphs.
- JMX metrics that the Java agent collects for specific products and frameworks. See "Configure JMX Metric Rules" on Configure JMX Metrics from MBeans.
- Memory monitoring settings for agents that collect instance tracking data for specific classes or objects. See the following topics:
- Asynchronous transaction demarcators to set endpoints for asynchronous transactions.
Other Configuration Topics
In addition to the instrumentation configuration options covered in this topic, there are many other ways to customize AppDynamics for your environment. For more information on the items on the Configuration page, refer to the following topics:
- "Configure Thresholds" on Transaction Thresholds.
- "View Baselines" on Dynamic Baselines.
If you have an End-User monitoring license, see the following topics for more information on User Experience App Integration: