Step 1 in the Create New Health Rule wizard lets you choose what entity types your health rule monitors. The entity type you select determines the metrics that are offered for configuring the evaluation conditions.
Click the Entity Type expanding link. A list of all available entity types appears. Click Show more to view more entities.
The entity type is pre-selected if you create a health rule in the Observe UI.
- Select an entity type. Use the search option to quickly find the desired entity type.
The health rule you create for the entity type applies to all the hosts within the entity type unless you specify filters to narrow down the list of applicable entities.
- To monitor a group of entities:
- Click Health Rollup > Edit. The Select Health Rollup dialog appears.
Select the desired group of entity types.
To narrow the list of entity types and sort the entity types by attributes, in Filters > Filter by Attributes section:
Select the required attributes (A) and the tags (T)
- Select an operator
- Select a corresponding values for the attribute and the tag
For example, to monitor the
k8s:nodeentity type, set the following filter:
To narrow the list of entity types and sort the entity types by the parent entity, in Filters > Filter by Parent section:
Click the Parent Entity Type expanding list. The Select Parent Entity Type dialog is displayed.
- Select the parent entity type.
- In the Add Filter field, select the required attributes (A) and the tags (T), an operator, and a corresponding value.
- Click Apply.
Repeat steps a to d to define more parent filters.
- Define how you want to evaluate the health rule:
- Select Evaluate the health of entities individually for the health rule to violate if the health of an individual entity instance violates.
- Select Evaluate the health of entities as a group for the health rule to violate if the aggregate health of the group of entities violates.
See Health Evaluation.
- Review the configuration. The summary of your configuration is displayed in the Summary pane at the bottom of the UI.
You have completed Step 1 in the Create New Health Rule wizard, proceed to Step 2, Define Health Rule Evaluation Conditions.