When using the Machine Agent on Windows:
- Check the server frequently to ensure that it has the latest Windows updates installed.
- If you have a Server Visibility license, use the ServerMonitoring extension.
- If you do not have a Server Visibility license, or if you want to collect Basic metrics only, use the JavaHardwareMonitor extension.
- There is a known Windows issue when using the HardwareMonitor extension to collect metrics on Windows 8: The "Win32_Service" WMI class leaks memory in Windows Server 2008 R2 and in Windows 7. As a result, AppDynamics does not recommend using the HardwareMonitor extension on Windows. You should use JavaHardwareMonitor instead.
- However, if you must use the HardwareMonitor extension on Windows, apply this Microsoft hotfix to the server: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/981314
Server Visibility on Windows
Running the Machine Agent and .NET Agent on the Same Machine
To collect Machine or Server metrics on a machine with Machine and .NET Agents installed, you must enable .NET Compatibility Mode on both the Controller and the Machine Agent. See .NET Compatibility Mode.